Subject: Morphing & Displacement Map Problems
From: Darren Metcalfe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 09:37:14 -0700 (PDT)

I've got a project in which a banner object needs to kinda float down 
while rippling in the wind.  The movement is only over the first 90 
frames and then it just sits there waving in the wind.

The waving/rippling part is taken care of quite nicely with displacement 
mapping.  To acheive the vertical motion I've stretched the banner and am 
morphing.  The banner is kinda like one section of a spring, it does a 
360 degree wrap.  Stretching and morphing it is kinda hokey 'cause the 
"face" of the banner is a little stretched also but we're willing to live 
with that (like I said it's only over the first 90 frames and not very 
noticeable).

My problem is that while morphing the displacement effect is stretched 
vertically (I think) and I get ugly flickering vertical banding in the 
face of the banner.  There is no reflection map or any other texture map 
that could account for this.  My banner is suitably subdivided so it's 
not non-planar polygons.  The disp map is set to world coordinates so the 
banner ripples "through" the map.  What's going on (John ;))?

Thanks,

Darren Metcalfe                               i-media corporation
[email-masked]       Interactive, Animation, Post-Production
 "You can have a lot of fun with people mired in computer nuance,
   watch this, has anybody seen the mouse for my Amiga?" - Joel